Monday, September 1, 2008
Perkedel Jagung (Corn fritter)
Approximate amounts, serves around 4-5 pieces.
300g sweet corn seeds
80g green peas (small)
1/2c shrimps or prawns
8 shallots, finely chopped
2 stalks of spring onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, small dices
100g rice flour
3tbsp plain flour
1tbsp corn starch
150ml warm water
oil for deep-fry/frying
fresh chilli, sliced with seeds removed
dollop of djon mustard/ mayonnaise/ bbq sauce
light soy sauce or balsamic vinegar
1. Mix corn, green peas, shrimps, shallots, spring onions and garlic in a bowl.
2. Add in the rice flour, salt, plain flour and pepper. Mix evenly with the rest of the ingredients.
3. Gradually add water, mixing the mixture each time. To thicken mixture, add corn starch.
4. Prepare frying pan, add oil accordingly for frying or deep-frying (depending on how you like your perkedel!)
Tip: butter is perfect for frying but oil is fine too.
5. Once oil is hot, add approx. 1-2 tbsp of the mixture for each perkedel.
6. Fry evenly on both sides till perkedel turns golden brown. Add a little sesame oil and light soy sauce/ balsamic vinegar to enhance flavour as desired.
7. Serve with fresh chilies or with dipping sauce, e.g. chilli sauce, mayonnaise, djon mustard or bbq sauce.
Share with friends or enjoy as a snack! Remember to exercise (saying this to myself)!
I'm still experimenting with the recipe - might update this :)