Sunday, July 27, 2008
Pumpkin Cheesecake to Die (or kill) For
* 1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap bickies/cookies (the ginger crust makes ALL the difference)
* 1/2 cup shredded or flaked coconut
* 1/3 cup butter, melted
* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
* 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute (for diabetics)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3 eggs
* 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin - butternut is great or Kent or Jap or QLD blue - whatever's on hand (dont use the tinned muck! Boil yer own!)
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to make Pumpkin Cheesecake to Die (or kill) For
1. Preheat oven to 175.C (350.F). In a medium bowl, mix together the crushed gingersnap bickies, coconut and butter. Press into the bottom, and about 1 inch up the sides of a 9" pan. (I use a quiche dish.) Bake crust 10-15 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside to cool. Try to resist the urge to overcook.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sugar or sugar substitute and vanilla just until smooth. Keep mixing, adding eggs one at a time, blending well after each. Then add the pumpkin and spices.
3. Spread it into the cooled crust. Resist lowering face into mix for a taste.
4. Bake 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until filling is set. Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Allow to cool before removing pan rim. Chill for at least 4 hours (overnight is best) before serving.
Serve w/ thickened blobs of cream (why stop now?) and strong coffee. PERFECT for Thanksgiving, Aussie Style.